Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mamma Mia!


Not quite sure why that poster says the release date is September '08 when I watched it in the cinema last night.

Btw, the guy on the right reminds me of Mark Smitten from Tudors (the gay musician who was accused of adultery with Queen Anne Boleyn and quite brutally sent to the gallows)

Back to Mamma Mia!. Watching Meryl Streep play the role of the (somewhat promiscuous when she was younger) mother to Sophie was definitely a huge huge change from the role of chief editor she undertook in The Devil Wears Prada (which btw I absolutely loved as well). A singing Pierce Brosnan was rather... odd. And I'm sorry to burst your bubble Xin, but Colin Firth plays the gay role.

All in all, I absolutely enjoyed the movie except for some Bollywood like moments where everyone in the vicinity breaks out into song and dance and all are in sync. A little too corny for my taste. But overall, I loved the movie, sang most of the songs and probably embarrassed the hell out of Yi Lin who was seated to my right and Allan to my left. Believe me, if I could, I would have been dancing by the aisle.

Unless you grew up listening to Abba on your mother/father's CD player, I wouldn't advice you going for the movie unless you were into musicals. But then again, if you were into musicals, you would have probably watched Mamma Mia before. So uhm yeah. Totally readdicted to Abba songs now!


[Edit] Just realised what a horrible attempt at a movie review that was. =(

9 Comments:

Blogger andychoi said...

I really can't picture Cruella DeVille singing and dancing...

7/12/2008 6:13 pm  
Blogger linnykins said...

It says "Summer 2008."

7/13/2008 4:31 am  
Blogger castalnetta said...

andy - wasnt cruella de ville played by glen close?

yil - oh god im blind. but my friend DID tell me that its only playin in malaysia in september

7/13/2008 8:42 am  
Blogger andychoi said...

After checking IMDB, Glenn Close it was indeed...
But they look the same... >.<

7/13/2008 10:06 am  
Blogger castalnetta said...

yes.. glen close in 101dalmations and meryl streep in the devil wears prada looks very much alike

7/13/2008 11:21 am  
Blogger Florence said...

It's only playing in Malaysia in September!

7/13/2008 12:20 pm  
Blogger Natasha Lim said...

july 18 in the states!

7/13/2008 2:55 pm  
Blogger Raging Bull said...

Su-pa-pa Troo-pa-pa

7/14/2008 5:22 am  
Blogger danielle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/15/2008 1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home